Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Let's Talk Football.

Inaugural post, here we go! I guess I should start with my most recent adventure into the world. The world of Football (of the European variety).

I've lived in or near Kansas City for nearly all my life. We've had FC's on and off since I was young. I can remember when I was very small, Kansas City had an indoor club called the Comets and Police Officers used to hand out Comets cards to kids on the street, which, looking back now, seems kind of odd. I have always been aware of soccer, even played some when I was ten. It turned out to be way too much running for my little fat self. I was dimly aware of it as a world sport. I'd play recreationally with friends as I got older, but that was about the extent of my involvement with the sport. 

Then came the World Cup in 2006. I was unemployed at the time, and for whatever reason, I watched damn near every game that was televised. I don't know what it was; the scale of the event maybe? I was impressed how many nations had representation in the cup. I was blown away by the skill of the men on the pitch, the shots, the defense and the dribbling. Whatever the reason, I had caught World Cup fever. I didn't care who was playing, I just wanted to watch some football (as I was properly calling it, much to the chagrin of my non-soccer sports pals).

As the cup closed, I retained an interest in football, but just couldn't bring myself to follow any of the Euro leagues. It was just too confusing to me. So I went with the inferior American MLS. My hometown had a team after all, then called the Kansas City Wizards. Kansas City had won the MLS cup in the year 2000, and the US Open Lama Hunt Cup in 2004, but I was late to that party. As I took interest, it was more about the team looking for a permanent home than anything else. In 2010, the club opened Live Strong Sporting Park, as well as rebranded themselves Sporting Kansas City in an attempt to align with the more professional overseas leagues. This was the smartest thing they could have done for themselves. Since then, the team has generated an awesome level of interest in Kansas City. Sporting started this year 7-0, and the buzz was at a fever pitch. The team was selling out home games, and featuring some spectacular defense... Which brings me to my adventure.

 My rekindled love of Football, and my first trip to Live Strong Sporting Park.

Home to such chants as "I'm blind! I'm deaf! I wanna be a ref!"

  I have a friend called Red who is a Sporting season ticket holder, and he was kind enough to invite me to game two of the US Open Lamar Hunt Cup vs. the Colorado Rapids. His seats are in something called 'The Cauldron' which he informs me is a bleacher like section of basically the loudest, rowdiest fans in the park. I am fucking stoked.

It's a short drive to Kansas City, Kansas where the park is located, in an area surrounded by shopping, restaurants, and the Kansas Speedway. Prime real estate for this park. We park the car, and begin our trek into the stadium. This thing is state of the art. As soon as you walk into the member's club for the Cauldron, there are televisions everywhere. Above the bar, above tables, and in the team shop. Season Ticket holders are issued cards that yield not only entry to the stadium, but discounts on things, and special points they can accumulate and redeem for gear and refreshments. I turn to one of the walls, and there's a very cool section where they have hung scarves from many teams, US and European. At this moment, I'm getting a very cool vibe. For a brief shining second, I feel like I'm in the U.K., or like a citizen of the world. Not just America, or the Midwest, or Missouri. It's an awesome feeling.

Red and I make our way to a pair of seats, right behind the north goal. I'm amazed how close we are.

DAT HAIR

As the Cauldron fills up, I notice a few things. One, there's a guy dressed like Jesus standing in the middle of a group of fan percussionists. I soon learn this is the heart of the Cauldrons' nigh-incessant chanting and singing. Two, there appear to be fan cheerleaders (not girls in hotpants, but mostly guys wearing beards and Sporting scarves) at the front of each section, who spend most of their time facing the cauldron and leading chants. That's dedication. Three, everyone is wearing some form of SKC scarf. Except me.

Game time gets finally gets underway, and SKC puts a shot on goal thirty seconds on. They are not fucking around. The Cauldron is already heckling Colorado's goalie... I kinda feel bad for the guy. Kinda. Sporting scores the first goal of the match and this chant becomes the centerpiece, to the tune of Yankee Doodle:

"Come on Sporting score a goal/ it's really very simple/ put the ball into the net/ and we'll go fucking MENTAL!"

They're not kidding either. I have to mention here that we are doing so much clapping that I am convinced my hand will fall off at any second. I don't mind. Everyone is having so much fun, being man/woman children, taunting professional athletes with variants of old standard songs and nursery rhymes, and just generally being violence shy hooligans. I am in love. 

Halftime. Time to get a fucking scarf.

Second half commences and now we have Jimmy Nielsen, the home goalie in front of us. The Cauldron has it's own chant for him. During one of these chants, while the action is far afield, he turns and acknowledges the Cauldron with a quick smile and nod. The bleachers go NUTS.

The Cauldron has identified a 'flopper' in the ranks of the Colorado squad, and individual who seems to fall to the pitch at the slightest hint of a breeze in search of a foul. The chants are quickly aimed at this guy. Every time he flops, we let loose an organized shouting of "BUUUULLLLLSHHIIIIIITT".

Some spectacular defensive plays are made, and a second goal is scored on an amazing shot by Sporting's resident Frenchman Aurelien Collin. Again, crowd, led by the Cauldron, goes mental. They really make good on the promise in that chant. Colorado tries to press late, but the defense of Sporting is having none of it.

Sporting goes on to win, 2-0 and advance in the single elimination tourney. Confetti is dropped onto the Cauldron, and then something very cool happens. Each player comes to the North stands and applauds and gives thumbs up to the Cauldron. Colin tosses his jersey into the stands. Even coach  Peter Vermes comes out and applauds us. I am converted. I am now a full-time Sporting Kansas City fan.

 I feel like part of the fucking team. It is awesome.

I don't want to leave.

But I can't stay there.

Until next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment